Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Sustainable Souls Project Jan. 2017

PLANET EARTH
WE ARE ALL CONNECTED
ECOSYSTEMS

https://thesustainablesoulsproject.blogspot.com


Welcome to the 1st month of the 2017 year long SUSTAINABLE SOULS PROJECT. This collaboration was created by Tina Walker with the assistance of 28+ artists. We will tackle different themes each month, create projects and share them via blogs, FB, Instagram. 

So here is my idea for the year as I'm in the process of packing my studio & home to move back to Buffalo, NY from NC. I found my very 1st art journal that I never finished so using this as my starting point and with very few supplies I will finish this journal using what I have. The following quote gave me the impetus to go forward.

"Start Where You Are

Use What You Have

Do What You Can:
....Arthur Ashe

It was fun to go back in time and look at my beginning pages in this art journal. I started this in 2009 with very little knowledge but wanted to expand my skills. I worked in the journal for a couple of years but put it aside as my skills expanded. While packing I found it and realized I needed to finish the pages left blank. 
Snippets of Pages

My first order of business was to create a collage for the journal cover and SSP with magazine cut-outs I've collected over the years. It's funny when one goes back and finds perfect images for the cover!


My 2nd order of business was to do a little research on sustainability and I stumbled across the work that the UN is involved in around the world. Fascinating, thought provoking and an eye-opener. I'm going to keep this journal and pages as catch-all for the info. I find through this year. I'm also on a mission to recycle and use up what supplies I have.

"Let us be good stewards of the Earth we inherited. 
All of us have to share the Earth's fragile ecosystems
 and precious resources, 
and each of us has a role to play in preserving them. 
If we are to go on living together on this earth, 
we must all be responsible for it." Kofi Annan

Here is the link to the UN website: http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/

Here are the 17 GOALS developed for the UN Project. Plenty of great information and also teaching tools for each of the 17 Goals. 


"On September 25th 2015, countries adopted a set of goals to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable development agenda. Each goal has specific targets to be achieved over the next 15 years.There is also an APP that you can download from the app store on IOS & Android.
I thank you for stopping by, taking the time to view my art journal pages and maybe even check out the sources I found. I hope you also join me in this year long discovery! Keep up with all of the incredible artists involved and their projects here;






















6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this link, Martha! Your journal pages are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha! I don't even know where to start. First of all - your pages draw me in. I don't know the specific image, word, or colors...but they are mesmerizing, full of feeling, and hopeful. :) And the UN bits - I'll be off to read all about it. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great journal pages! I look forward to seeing how it progresses throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Love your art and this post!!Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha, loved your journalistic journaling! You ARE a reporter:) Looking forward to this year, together:) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your journal--so inspiring!! I, too, am on a mission to use up my supplies :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks I he{ART} hearing from you!